Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Lost in Translation pt 1

I knew this was bound to happen during my stay here...

I came home from hanging out at a friends place around 11pm. The door was closed to Andrea's room and the light looked like it was off. I went to my room and was on my computer for about an hour, then I went into the hallway to walk towards the bathroom. I then noticed Andrea's light was on and she was on her computer. I was confused, because I thought she was sleeping, but now she was clearly awake. I went into the room and asked her if she was sleeping before. She just stared at me, confused.
Then I realized that I asked "Were you sleeping?" IN ENGLISH.
She knows an itty bit of English, I believe (she had to read the entire book A Christmas Carol for school), and she waited for a moment to process it, and then replied "Estoy dibujando" (I am drawing).
I responded in Spanish, telling her that I only just realized that I spoke in English, and I wasn't even thinking.


I don't know how to describe that moment, only that it felt weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment