Saturday, February 7, 2009

Panqueques?

Yesterday my host mom went shopping, and last night at dinner she told me she bought "crema de cacahuete" (Peanut Butter), and Pancake mix.
Because PB is such an American thing, they think we all LOVE it. I like PB, but I can survive without it. It's nice to have it now, though, because I can have some PB and marmalade sandwiches.
It's very hard to come by around here; I hear the only place you can get it is the random Chinese hodge podge shops, and they are the mini jars (2 inches high) for about 6 euros (8 or 9 american dollars). But it's nice to think that she went to the store and got this with me in mind, it was very nice.

And like I said, she also bought pancake batter, and I was just about to ask her if they eat them here with maple syrup (another rarity), when she asked me how they are served. I don't think anyone really eats pancakes here...another foreign thing to them. I told her they are usually served with sweet things. I didn't know the word for blueberries, so I told her strawberries (fresas) and powdered sugar (azucar polvado?) were popular. I also said that some people make really rich ones with chocolate chips. I said bacon and eggs are usually served on the side as well. Like I said, maple syrup doesn't really exist here, so I didn't know the word for that, so I just said it in English. Angela's roommate, who is from here, said she found some maple syrup at the organic store down the street. I really want to get some (I am dying here not having anything to put in my oatmeal!), but I have a feeling that if it is organic AND imported, it's gonna be like 20 euros a bottle or something.

So that is what my host family is doing in the kitchen now. I don't even know if they know how to cook pancakes, ie, when to flip them and when they are too raw or to burnt. We shall see!!!

1 comment:

  1. That is so funny! Lola just went to the store yesterday and bought me Peanut Butter, Marmalade, and get this..... CRUSTLESS white bread! haha I don't know what I did to make her think I don't like crust, but I am really excited to sit down and school with my juicebox, crustless PB&J, and an apple. :)

    ReplyDelete